Acrylic decorative plaster is the material for the final surface finish. It has properties that allow it to be used for exterior or interior work. It consists of four components:
- The foundation. As the name implies, it is acrylic. The main binder - polymer acrylic resin - makes the surface elastic and attractive.
- Modifiers Materials that improve the quality of the composition, giving the desired properties and characteristics.
- Dyes. Pigments that give resistant bright colors. Are introduced into the composition in the production of accurate dosage, which guarantees the necessary aesthetic and technical qualities of the material.
- Filler. Defines the surface structure. Usually it is quartz sand or a crumb of natural multi-colored stones. At different sizes of fractions, the mixture consumption per unit area is also unequal.
The composition can be added biocidal impurities. This means that the fungus, mold, and other microorganisms are not afraid of coating. In addition, acrylic plaster is considered an environmentally friendly finishing material.
Advantages and disadvantages
This material, like any other construction, has positive and negative properties. Processing walls, you need to take into account the shortcomings of acrylic plaster.
The film hardened on the surface hardly lets through wet evaporations: the walls are blocked. Therefore, it is better not to use it, decorating the facade, insulated from the outside with dense mineral wool. Under the direct rays of the sun fades and fades. Therefore, the paint for the facade you need to choose rich, bright.
Intensively attracts dust and small debris. The surface is constantly polluted and needs to be washed frequently.
Despite such flaws, acrylic plaster is popular. This is because she has even more advantages.
- Minimum abrasion. Does not crumble, does not form stains with friction. If applied with the observance of technology, it can last more than a dozen years.
- Reliable protection of the treated surface from moisture: snow, rain, hail.
- Strength. Significantly more than any other plaster. Acrylic film is very difficult to damage by accident, unless intentionally and with a special tool.
- Elasticity - a high molecular polymer, which is an acrylic resin, prevents the formation of cracks due to external influence. Acrylic elastic plaster does not respond to shrinkage, fluctuations, sudden changes in temperature or humidity.
- Absolute incombustibility. Walls do not need special impregnation from fire. Acrylic facade plaster is ideal for surfaces warmed with flammable foam.
- Heat and sound insulation.
- Simplicity in leaving: pollution are removed water.
- The mixture is ready to use.
The physical and technological properties possessed by acrylic-based plaster made it accessible even to a layman.
Types, purpose and features
The name "acrylic plaster" means a significant segment of materials. They are used for finishing the interior and for the facade on the plaster, applied as a basis. They have different purposes and properties that must be considered when choosing. By type of surface distinguish textured, structural, mosaic and Venetian plaster.
The classification of acrylic plaster for exterior work or interior is conditional, since all types, with the exception of Venetian, are suitable for both types of work.
Fillers are pebbles of small fractions, mica, flax fibers. They create a coating under the tree, stone, skin. Relief is manifested directly during application.
Acrylic textured plaster is of the following types:
- "Bark beetle" - a combined composition with a stone filler of small fractions. The plaster "bark beetle" is a decorative cavern, similar to the natural, made by the beetle. It looks interesting, but in combination with zero antistatic acrylic leads to increased contamination of the surface. From the street it is well washed with a hose, and indoors it is treated with a vacuum cleaner. Silicone plaster has the same variety.
- "Fur" (popular name, also known as acrylic pebble plaster). The structure resembles a low nap. The coat plaster is contaminated less because it uses a larger filler and the grooves are small.
- "Lamb" - imitation of sheep fleece. Added to the composition of the stones create a surface with a uniform grain and roughness.
Textured - the best acrylic plaster for the facade. And low cost makes it the most popular among other decorative.
The future surface relief is due to the composition of the filler. The mineral base consists of fine quartz or marble chips, creating a beautiful heterogeneity and grain. If they are quite small, then the wall will be almost flat, the middle fractions will give the finished surface a more significant relief.
It adheres well to chipboard, drywall and other mineral structures.
It is a thin-layer composition filled with quartz or marble chips with a grain size of one and a half to two millimeters. Colored granules (mosaic) make it unnecessary to use synthetic dyes. Brilliant tiny fragments create iridescent effect. Acrylic mosaic plaster is applied on drywall, cement-sand, cement-lime layer, putty, chipboard.
Externally, it resembles real marble, and when processed with pigment in color - precious stones. Different methods of application create a shiny or matte surface. The application allows you to visually enlarge the space, so the material is ideal for small spaces. Acrylic Venetian plaster - the only acrylic, used only for interior work. Silicone plaster of this texture has no such restrictions.
The mentioned types differ, in turn, by the size of the filler, colors, patterns, used in different interiors. For example, mosaic acrylic plaster for interior work is appropriate for reputable public spaces. Venetian texture is more suitable for living rooms. Walls with such a coating are smooth, shiny, almost mirror. They will always cheer up the hosts and surprise the guests.
Order of use
Putting acrylic plaster of different types has nuances. But there are several general principles for doing work.
- Training. Implies alignment of the walls. They should be ideal, since acrylic plasters are applied in thin layers and are able to hide only minor flaws on the surface. A deviation of one to two millimeters across the entire plane is allowed, which the applied relief can visually eliminate.
- Primer. Removing dust, strengthening the surface gives it a stable adhesion to the plaster. In addition, closed pores, absorbing moisture from the solution. The mineral base of the plaster determines the type of primer: the usual deep penetrating or reinforced.
- Application to the surface. For different compositions has its own technology and tools. In any case, it is necessary to mix the solution well before starting work.
- For those who want more. If the result seems imperfect, you can decorate the plastered surface further: apply acrylic paints, coat with wax, and polish. Grout is done in a smooth circular motion. It starts a few hours after application.
The composition must be sufficiently viscous to preserve the desired shape. Therefore, calculate the exact consumption of material.
Buying plaster for the bathroom, note: it must be waterproof. When making the ceiling the least trouble is delivered by the drywall: pre-stripping, leveling, repairing cracks are not required, and the ideal decorative surface properties are guaranteed.
Starting work with plaster for the first time, it is better to practice in its application on a small inconspicuous section of the wall. You need to work quickly, otherwise the mixture will dry out.
Significantly no different, but there are features that it is desirable to take into account.
- Venetian. Expensive decor. It is recommended to pre-reinforce the surface, then putty and prime. The elastic pallet which is applied several layers is used. If the technology is broken, it may cause intractable cracks. It is better to entrust the work to specialists.
- Structural. Adding coloring pigments is excluded. The composition is applied with a roller or spatula to the surface treated with deep penetrating primer. In order to obtain waviness, the material of large fractions is applied in circular motions. Per square meter consumption of the finished mixture, on average, almost three kilograms.
- Textured. The most affordable and popular decorative acrylic plaster. With this material, relief or texture is created independently. Work does not require involvement of professionals or use of special tools, it is enough roller, spatula, stamp.
Special particles in the composition are able to hide noticeable irregularities or defects (a typical example is a bark beetle plaster). Therefore, the composition is applied without sacrificing quality even on an unprepared surface. You can limit cleaning, drying, remove all that exfoliate. Next, apply the adhesive composition or special solution.
Per square meter requires about two kilograms of the finished mixture. The larger the filler, the greater the expense.
Before starting work read the instructions, there may be a lot of useful things and tips. Calculate the exact consumption of the composition.
Begin the process only well-rested and healthy. Work needs to be done completely at once. Otherwise, on different parts of the wall will be slightly different.
Wear eyeglasses or other eye protection to prevent solution from getting into them.
Apply the composition, starting from the corner, then spreading over the entire surface.
Mixing colors of acrylic plaster, make sure that they are the same in different containers.
Do not rush the drying process with heaters, hair dryers or similar devices. Acrylic dries quickly, and because of such interference, the surface will crack or even collapse.
The layer of plaster should not be thick, two or three millimeters is enough.
Works are carried out at a temperature of +5 to + 25 ° C, outdoor are prohibited in strong wind and high humidity (more than 70%).
Silicone plaster has very similar properties to acrylic varieties. It is much more expensive, but antistatic, vapor permeable, plastic and more resistant. The high price makes it necessary to accurately calculate the consumption of the necessary material when purchasing.
However, more affordable acrylic plaster is also good. It is easy to apply, looks great and can last for a long time.