The name of the rustic style comes from the Latin word "rusticus" - rustic, derived from the Latin word "rus" - village (simple, uncouth, rough). The name speaks for itself. Rustic style is the use of exclusively natural materials of rough processing, or unprocessed at all. This is as close as possible to nature, a rustic brutal style. The simplicity and environmental friendliness of the materials used (mainly wood and stone), the restrained natural color palette, the abundance of free space and clean air - all this contributed to the fact that the rustic style had a huge number of admirers. And, despite the fact that this style originated relatively recently, today the interior, made in the rustic style, is very popular around the world.
How did the rustic style come about?
Rustic style in the interior appeared and began to be used in the middle of the last century. This is a modified analogue of American country style with elements of Russian hut. It is believed that this style originated in the United States and immediately became the traditional style for the designation of homes for middle-class people. Gradually, the upper strata of society began to use the rustic style. In contrast to all modern styles with their abundance of glass and plastic, concrete and chrome-plated parts, bright colors and artificial materials, the rustic style is associated with a cowboy ranch, the smell of wood, cozy evenings by the fireplace and other pleasant moments of life.
Distinctive features of rustic style
Let's take a closer look at all the features of the rustic style.
As mentioned earlier, in the rustic style it is allowed to use only natural materials. But these are not materials of an ideal type and form, but absolutely natural, unprocessed natural materials, which have retained even their flaws.
- The main element of the rustic style is wood. It should be a lot and it should be clear and not subject to any kind of treatment, except for the purpose of protection from pests. All cracks, irregularities, notches, knots, traces of time should be present on the tree. Moreover, if the tree is not old, then it is artificially “aged” and even wormholes are applied with a special device. Ceiling beams, furniture, floors, windows, doors - everything should be made of wood. Even wooden dishes and decor items are welcome. The color of the tree can vary from light brown - walnut, maple, alder to darker tones - pine, cherry, beech, oak.
- Another important element of the rustic style is stone. The stone must also be a natural look, not subject to processing. Quartz, sandstone, limestone, as well as granite and marble are most commonly used.
- Metal in the rustic style, though not playing a leading role, but still must be present in the interior. Kitchen utensils, wrought-iron candlesticks, cutlery - an important element of the decor. The metal must be old and dark. Bronze, brass, cast iron, silver and nickel silver are best for this. You can use stainless steel, previously artificially "aged."
- The walls of the room in the rustic style are usually trimmed with wood or stone. White paint is also allowed. At the same time, the deliberate carelessness and coarse brush marks are very desirable. And only occasionally for the walls apply light wallpaper. Untreated boards or decorative stone are placed on the floor.
- The ceiling in the rustic style should be beamed. In this case, the beams will be real, or imitated - absolutely not important. The color of the ceiling should be a contrast to the color of the walls.
- Windows and doors should look pretty rough and visually instill reliability. And of course the material for their manufacture is wood. No metal plastics!
- Rustic style in the interior necessarily implies the presence of a fireplace. Cozy rustic fireplace, rather, even the hearth - the heart of the house. Such a hearth in ancient times warmed the house, cooked food and gathered around itself the whole family on cold evenings.
- The color palette of the rustic style is low-key, natural, warm and cozy. These are all shades of brown, black, white, gray. As well as beige, sand, ocher, marsh and muted-red shades. Brightness of colors and ornaments in this style are completely out of place.
- Fabrics used in the style of rustic should be natural. These are usually linen fabrics of dull natural colors with no pattern, with the exception of ethnic patterns. The presence of homespun elements in the interior is highly desirable. Absolutely should exclude synthetics!
- Ceramics, wicker baskets, glass and wooden trinkets, forged candlesticks and souvenirs, home-made lace napkins and towels, bouquets of dried flowers or live wild flowers can be used as decorative accessories in a rustic interior. Also, it will look quite harmonious, for example, an old chest or keg.
- It is impossible today to imagine your home without the fruits of civilization - lighting fixtures, communications, various household appliances. All this, of course, is allowed to be used in the rustic style. True, all electrical appliances and all appliances are best concealed and hidden. For this case, many techniques have been developed - masking cabinets and various hiding panels.
Rustic kitchens in a city apartment
At first glance it may seem that the rustic style is appropriate to use only in a country house and its use in a city apartment is unacceptable. But this is a misconception. It is possible to adhere to the rustic style in the design, for example, the kitchen in a city apartment.
Of course, in order to absolutely adhere to the style of rustic, large rooms are needed. Log beams, like other bulky parts, in a small kitchen will look ridiculous. However, it is only necessary to connect the imagination, and the result will be amazing.
- The ceiling of the kitchen should be sewn up with thin boards or wooden panels. You can also use beams.
- The floor is best covered with parquet, parquet board or tile shades of brown. The main condition - the material should be a tree, or its imitation.
- The walls of the kitchen can be covered with wooden panels imitating the surface of logs or boards. For decorating walls, it is also permissible to use light, inconspicuous wallpaper. The color should contrast with the color of the ceiling, floor and furniture.
- All kitchen furniture in the kitchen must be wooden. These are cabinets, table, chairs, and all kinds of hinged shelves. Chairs and a table should be good, comfortable, on thick stable legs. It is best to use old furniture, or artificially aged.
- For the apron over the tables and sink, you can use a panel that imitates stonework.
- Next, it is necessary to decorate the windows and doors of the kitchen with wooden panels, hang lamps from wrought iron, or imitate it.
- If desired, you can create an artificial fireplace. Or decorate the stove, imitating the hearth.
- Accessories will help to finish the image of the kitchen in a rustic style. These are linen curtains and tablecloth of natural colors, towels and oven mitts with ethnic patterns, wrought iron hooks, lace napkins, earthenware and cast-iron dishes. Vases with dried and live wild flowers, wicker baskets and many other pleasant things, made from natural materials.
- In the design of the kitchen in the style of rustic in a city apartment also used a color palette, including shades of natural, natural colors. But only in this case it is not forbidden to include several bright color accents. For example, green, yellow or red.
Our modern world, with its pace, bustle and endless succession of problems, is very tiring. And sometimes you want to relax your soul, retire and rejuvenate. The rustic style is perfect for this purpose. He recreates the atmosphere of the old house, the atmosphere of peace, peace, quiet flow of life. A home in a rustic style - truly a dream home!