Not everyone boasts a large, spacious and open kitchen. The metric area of apartments and houses is different for everyone, and the size of the kitchen does not always satisfy the wishes of the owners. Undoubtedly, a narrow kitchen, like any other narrow room, brings discomfort to its inhabitants. However, with the help of design solutions, skillful planning and well-chosen furniture from any narrow kitchen you can make a real paradise.
Cons of a narrow kitchen
The narrow kitchen cannot be considered comfortable for several reasons:
- limited space of the room makes it difficult to move in it;
- because of the limited space it is impossible to create a full-fledged, specially organized dining place;
- in a narrow room you will not swing with the arrangement of furniture; the kitchen has to put only what is needed: a table, a refrigerator, a stove, and not something that is convenient and beautiful;
- a narrow room creates psychological discomfort: a person in such a room feels clutched in an invisible frame.
Obviously, the narrow kitchen will not please anyone, so many apartment owners increase kitchen footage from the balcony or flatten the apartment, punching and re-erecting the walls. However, not all apartments can do this; sometimes it is considered at all risky. Nevertheless, there is a solution - the extension of the kitchen due to the visual increase. How to do this - read on.
Smart layout for narrow kitchens
To visually increase the narrow kitchen, you must perform a competent layout. There are several options for this layout:
- Linear planning is a layout in which the kitchen unit is placed along the longest wall of the room, and the sink is placed between the refrigerator and the stove. That is, it should visually get some triangle.
- Corner layout - such a kitchen layout, in which furniture is placed along adjacent walls, leaving no gaps. At the same time, you can freely organize a dining space by the window, while maintaining a place for passage.
- The two-row layout is almost the same as the corner layout. Only if there furniture is arranged so that there are no gaps, that is adjacent, then everything is separate: along one wall, say, headsets, along the other - a dining place.
- U-shaped layout - the furniture is placed around the perimeter, leaving only a place for passage. Such a layout will visually increase the room, but, alas, it will not be possible to organize a dining place due to the limited space, so you need to take care of where the place for lunch will be.
Perhaps this is all known for today types of layouts for a narrow kitchen. All of them will allow you to visually expand the footage of the kitchen room. You just have to choose what you like - in which of the listed kitchen planning options you will feel as comfortable as possible.
Set for a narrow kitchen
The very first rule for a narrow kitchen is as little furniture as possible, especially massive, so for a kitchen you need to choose compact headsets, namely:
- The so-called "lightweight" version of the headset is an option that does not have the upper part. Instead of bulky cabinets, you can use open shelves - they will save space and make the room visually spacious;
- headsets with wardrobes - such cabinets do not clutter the space, they are ideal for a narrow kitchen;
- all sorts of original designs: bar tables, sliding tables, folding table tops. All this will play a dual role: the working surface and the dining place.
Interior narrow kitchen
The interior of a narrow kitchen can be easily thought out by yourself. Here are some recommendations for this:
Laconic forms, glossy reflective surfaces, simplicity of design will help to add space to the room. As for color, for a visual increase in the room it is better to choose light colors, especially white, blue, olive and beige. Posters with horizontal drawings, wallpapers and other types of decor will also add space to the kitchen.
As for the floor, in a narrow kitchen it is better to lay out a laminate or tile so that the boards (tiles) run diagonally - this will help to achieve volume visualization.
- To create the illusion of space, you can use mirrors. They can be placed anywhere: above the dining place, suite, on the ceiling. You can restrict the mirror on the facade of the cabinet.
- Special attention should be paid to the windows. It is not recommended to hang heavy curtains on the windows in the narrow kitchen. It is better to give preference to light, flowing curtains, Roman curtains or blinds.
- Opposite the kitchen in a narrow kitchen there must be something - a shelf or cabinet. Empty wall will look very unpresentable.
- 3D-wallpapers are perfect for visualizing the space in a narrow kitchen. They will help to expand the space and move the horizon.
If you decide to hang the wall cabinets, then they should be mounted as high as possible: this will visually free the space.
If the ceiling in your kitchen is high, then it is better to make it embossed or multi-level. You can also apply zoning and add architectural elements. As for the color of the ceiling, it is better to leave from the white. Paint it in pastel colors: cream or beige. An exception is the case when the interior of the kitchen is built on contrast.
In any room, and especially in the kitchen, lighting plays an important role. For a narrow kitchen, zoned lighting is well suited - lighting scattered in parts of a room. For example, one lamp or sconce hangs above the dining table, and several lamps are lit under the cabinets of a kitchen unit. Theoretically, lamps can be hung anywhere, but it is important not to overdo it: there should not be too much light in a narrow kitchen.
On the floor of a narrow kitchen - no matter what material it is made from - it is desirable to place a rectangular pattern or a combination of them. This also works well for space expansion.
In a narrow kitchen there should be as many open shelves as possible - they create the illusion of space.
Furniture in a narrow kitchen should be a bit, but all its items should consist of cabinets and drawers, so that was where to place the dishes.
- Glass tables and chairs with transparent backs can be very useful for a narrow kitchen.
- If the kitchen is too narrow, and it’s impossible to organize a dining place in it, it is best to move the dining room to the living room. There it will even be much more convenient and more comfortable to have lunch than if you do it in the kitchen.
- To gain a couple of extra inches, you can replace the kitchen door with a narrower one. You can also use the door arch to create free space.
- A window sill in a narrow kitchen can be equipped for a sink or work surface. Of course, the material for the arrangement of the window sill should be chosen the same, which is made of kitchen.
To even out the proportions between the width and length of a narrow room, it is enough to spread a rug with a simple geometric pattern on the floor.
Stretch ceiling and other mounted structures better not to use in a narrow kitchen. And without that limited space will seem even less.
It is good if there are many distracting details in a narrow kitchen: different pictures, flowers in decorative pots, various figurines and caskets. All these little things will not only add brightness and style, but also allow you to divert attention from the narrow size of the kitchen.
For a narrow kitchen, it is better to use a table of elongated rectangular shape, and chairs can replace benches - this is both a space saving and a style element.
Some apartment owners, in order to expand the size of the kitchen, decide to demolish the wall that separates it from another room. It turns out very nice and convenient, but only such actions must be coordinated with the BTI.