People expand the common space by saving space in the bathroom, without giving it much importance, others are forced to accept this situation by buying a house or an apartment with a small bathroom. And then you have to find non-standard situations to solve the problem of lack of space. The small space does not allow to place all the objects necessary for the hostess and family: bath, wash basin, toilet. Often there is not enough space even for a small sink. Placing it in the hallway or in the kitchen is not always convenient and appropriate. Installing a sink over a washing machine is the perfect solution to save space in a small bathroom.
Advantages and disadvantages
Like other models, the sink, under which the equipment is built, has its advantages and disadvantages.
- Such a sink, in the first place, saves space, and it can be placed where you want. A sink with space for appliances is placed anywhere: in the kitchen, in the hallway, in a special laundry room, etc.
- The unusual design gives the interior a special look. The wide range includes models of different colors, shapes and material of execution.
- The special siphon needed for the sink over the styrene machine will deliver certain chores. Usually, it is not included in the kit, so you have to spend time and effort searching for it.
- The siphon shape provides for the location of drain pipes not horizontally, but horizontally. This will cause frequent blockages and water stagnation. Stagnant water entail an unpleasant smell in the bathroom.
- The sink does not allow to open freely the hatch on a typewriter with a vertical load, therefore this design can be placed only above the equipment with the side opening of the lid.
Different shapes - rounded edges, sharp edges, square, oval, rectangle, flat sink - allows you to choose the most suitable model for each size of appliances and the bathroom as a whole. There are models of a special non-standard form, options with a lateral table-top are also known. In addition, manufacturers have taken care of the color scheme - along with the standard white color, you can choose other shades.
The place for the installation of such sinks may have a non-standard location (left, right, bottom) or be absent.
Acrylics, ceramics, glass, and metal are often used to make sinks.
The market is expanding and expanding its range. Popular sinks made of polymer or artificial stone. This type of material has advantages over others: it is highly resistant to mechanical damage and chemical means.
When choosing a model should not forget about the size of the sink. This is an important aspect, as the sink-water-lily of the correct size will gently fall into place and allow you to hide unwanted nuances in the bathroom.
The location of the control display on the washing machine is also taken into account. If it is located on top, the sink of the wrong size will close the display and create an unwanted problem.
So, when choosing a "water lily", the size of the machine plus the location for the location of the sewer pipe, siphon, hose is taken into account. Sewer pipes can be built into the wall, but space is needed for other pipes.
Sinks of this type can be placed at different heights, but if there are children or people of small stature in the family, then you should pay attention to this and place the structure at a convenient level.
Drainage in water lily shells is located in an irregular place, and it is of an original form. This may be a gap under the faucet, and a recess from one or the other edge, a recess under the soap box, and a standard opening. The gap or hole directly at the wall is convenient, since the drain pipes will go straight from the wall, not passing over the machine, but this is also a minus: a narrow hole entails frequent blockages.
A water lily can also have a hole to protect it from overflowing. It, as well as plums, is located at a wall or sideways. Such a system prevents the transfusion of water and its penetration in this way on the machine.
"Waterlily" is equipped with a special plug for draining and can be partially automated.
Installing a water lily sink above the washer is a standard procedure that does not require special skills and tools. Installation Procedure:
- So, the first thing brackets are installed. These items are sold complete with a "water lily", but if they are not, contact the seller and select the desired size. Dowels or anchors - fasteners for brackets, during installation they are not clamped to the end. A distance of 3-5 mm is left so that it is possible to adjust the horizontal installation at the end.
- Then the sink is equipped with all the necessary elements, set the mixer with pipes that conduct water.
- It should be installed a key element - the drain system. Siphon pipes are interconnected and connected to the sink. Installation should be carried out carefully and carefully checked for tightness every hole through which water can leak. Some places can be put on silicone hermetic glue. In this case, the preliminary elimination of any possible leakage is very important, since the sink is located above the washing machine, and the water that falls on the back wall can damage it.
- You can proceed to install the sink. Now you need a level. Precisely marking the location, tighten the sink with dowels and anchors. Then she herself is removed so as not to damage, break, work.
- It is necessary to make a hole in the wall with a perforator for the hook, where the plug is pre-inserted.
- The sink is put in place. A hook is inserted into the plug of the dowel, which is clamped to the end. It is recommended that the brackets create a protective layer with a sealant to prevent damage to the sink.
- Completion - the connection and connection of the drain pipe with the sewer. Tap hoses are connected to hot and cold water.
There is another simplified version of the water supply to the sink - it is a single faucet that is used for both bath and sink. The design allows you to rotate the crane and use it in the desired position. This option is convenient because it eliminates additional pipes and connections behind the machine. However, it is important to install the sink correctly - its edge should go into the bath so that tap water flows directly into the water lily and does not fall on the machine.
The washing machine is installed under the sink. Its stability is regulated by means of special legs, so that the drain system is not damaged by vibration. The water outlet hose is connected to the sewage system.
Some craftsmen install an additional water shut off valve, but this is not always justified. The hostess, having forgotten to open the faucet, will start the car without water supply, and this may lead to a breakdown.
Before starting the entire system, the connections are checked for leaks. Otherwise, the ingress of water to the washing machine will lead to malfunctions and accidents: short circuit, phase transfer to the body, electric shock.
A sink over a washing machine is an excellent solution to save space, but it is important to remember that such a complex can be dangerous if you do not foresee all possible options for water leaking and entering the machine.